I finally made the famous beetroot vegan brownies! And … it was nice! Tasty & moist, chocolaty & nutty… in one word, yummy!
As often, recipe inspiration from Made In Hackney, check their web for full recipe. Here comes my version:
- 2 big beetroots, peeled & chopped, cooked in little water until tender
- 200 g of date (you can also use date paste or fig paste)
- 100 g of ground almonds (or hazelnuts, or a mix of both)
- 4 tbsp of raw cacao
- 100 g of flour (I used whole rye flour)
- 1 tbsp of date syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- Blend the beetroot with the date (if using paste, add 1 tbsp of the cooking liquid to get a smooth mixture).
- In a bowl, mix the ground hazelnuts & almonds, the raw cacao, the flour, and the salt. Add the date syrup and the beetroot & date mixture. Stir well until completely mixed.
- Spread the mixture on a baking tray (use greaseproof paper) and top with nibbed hazelnuts.
- Cook for 35/40 min at 180C.
- Serve warm, by itself or with oat cream as in this picture, mmmm….