I started cooking gluten-free a few years ago, back in Barcelona, where one of my good friends has celiac disease. In this gluten-free vegan lasagna recipe, the leaves of the cabbage replace the pasta sheet. The filling is composed of vegetables, rice and mung beans to make it a complete meal.
I discovered the mung beans (also called green gram) in India. Rich in nutrient and really filling, they also have the advantage to cook quite quickly when compared to other pulses. If you soak them (30 min – 3 hours), they cook in about 20 min. I like to combine them with brown rice and I actually soak and cook them together (save water & time!).
You will need enough cabbage leaves to cover three times the surface area of your ovenproof dish. Blanch the leaves by placing them in boiling water for 2 min. For the veg filling, you can use mushroom, pepper, tomatoes, courgette, or any leftover you have in the fridge. For the final cheesy layer, you can use some vegan cheese even though I do prefer to use some mashed sweet potatoes or cassava.
Ingredients (serve 6)
- 1 Savoy cabbage (or other variety with thick leaves)
- 1 cup of brown rice, soaked (or basmati)
- 1 cup of mung beans, soaked (or any other beans, lentils, etc.)
- 1 handful of mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ green pepper
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt, pepper
- 100 g of vegan cheese or some mashed cassava or sweet potatoes
- Spices: mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, turmeric, green chilli, etc.
- Place the rice and the beans in water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until tender, about 20 min. When cooked, drain well to remove all the water.
- In the meantime, heat a little bit of oil in a pan. Add the seeds (cumin, mustards…). When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for about 5 min. Add the other spices and the garlic, stir well. Add mushrooms and pepper. Cook for 5-10 min, until they start to brown. Add the other veg, cook for 5-10 min. Add the rice and the beans, stir well and turn heat off.
- Lightly oil the ovenproof dish and place a layer of cabbage leaves followed by half of the preparation. Add another layer of leaves and the rest of the preparation. Cover with the remaining leaves and add the “cheese” on top.
- Place in the oven at 180ºC (preheated) for 30-40 min.
- Serve with a nice salad and enjoy!